Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandmother used to make these every year and mail them to us. They freeze really well and ship beautifully. May favorite are the ones rolled in nuts.
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups ground vanilla wafers (cookies)
- 1 cup nuts, finely chopped or ground
- coconut or additional ground nuts
- Melt chocolate chips, stir in corn syrup and vanilla.
- Stir in gradually, evaporated milk and sugar.
- Add wafer crumbs and nuts; mix well.
- Let stand about 30 minutes. Then shape into 1 inch balls and roll in additional ground nuts or coconut.
- Chill or freeze.
Nice. A lot like fudge without all the work. Good flavour.
The recipe was super easy to make. My boyfriend and everyone else who tried them loved them. But for me I found them way too sweet and I didn't really like the taste of the vanilla wafers in them. Also, next time I would add less nuts as I thought there were a bit too many. Good for people who love very sweet treats! Freeze very well.
My husband really liked these...he said to put it in the "keeper" file ;-) I think the coconut ones are my favorite, but the ones with nuts were good too. The taste and texture is kind of a cross between fudge and a brownie. It said in the recipe to add the nuts in step 3, however it says to roll the balls in nuts in step 4...so it was a little confusing since nuts were only shown once in the ingredients list. So, I added half to the mix and used the other half of the nuts for rolling. I only made half a recipe though since it was a new recipe...so, if you do 1/2 and 1/2 like I did, you would need more nuts for rolling a whole batch of these. I will probably try them without the nuts in the mix next time...just to see which way I like them best. These are very easy and would be a good one for kids to make. Thanks!