Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
My Grandma was a great baker. She made the most delicious frosting for her cakes. I could never quite get why my frosting never tasted like hers. Years later I found this recipe in her handwriting and it had coffee in it. I'm not a coffee drinker, but boy was this frosting delicious. The recipe is actually for 3 variations: white, chocolate or mocha.
- 1⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk or 2 -3 tablespoons cold coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- Cream butter and sugar together. Slowly add enough milk to make the frosting spreadable. Add the vanilla. Adjust milk and powdered sugar until desired consistency.
- For chocolate icing, add the cocoa powder.
- For mocha icing, delete the milk and add cocoa and cold coffee.
This is not bad for a simple frosting with limited ingredients. I made it with the cocoa and coffee. Taste is pretty good, and wil work on a chocolate cake. The amount will frost a 13 X 9 sheet cake, but not a layer one.