Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A very old-fashioned basic quick bread using graham (or whole wheat) flour. My Grandma made it at all holidays... hence the name. She was born in the mid 1880's and probably learned the recipe from her own mother. I had to write it down by standing at her elbow as she made it! Since there is no shortening in this recipe... I recommend whole milk... but skim also works. Make sure to use baking soda... NOT baking powder. Bread is moist, dense, and flavorful.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease medium sized loaf pan.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry.
- Fold in nuts if desired.
- Batter will be thick.
- Bake in very slow 300 degree oven for about 55-60 minutes. Test near center with wooden skewer.
- Serve warm or room temperature with butter or your favorite spread. Or alone with a cuppa tea!
- Thanks Grandma!