Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have craved these for weeks and it took me that long to find them in her collection. Grandma has been gone for two years and I miss her baking so much. I couldn't find the recipe because she called them Delicious Drop Cakes but they are cookies.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup nuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add well beaten egg.
- Sift flour and spices.
- Add raisins and nuts.
- Mix together nuts and raisins in flour.
- Slowly add flour, spice, nuts and raisins to egg, butter and sugar.
- Add quickly baking soda dissolved in hot water.
- Mix well until all liquid comes together.
- Drop from spoon on greased pan.
- Bake 10 minutes at 350. Watch, till slightly browning on the bottom edge.
- These might take a tad longer in your oven, mine cooks high. This is just a guesstimate because Grandma just had Bake as the next instruction so time and heat was a guess for me. They are nice and soft and I have double the recipe without any problems.
These taste wonderful, but I must have screwed something up. I put them all on the cookie sheets the same size. Some got huge, others stayed tiny, and they all came out flat. Maybe the wayer wasn't hot enough for the baking soda? I'm puzzled. They still get 4 stars though. Can't stop eating them.
I had one of these and immediately wanted another which really isn't like me so you know these had to be delicious! Just one note, these make a fluffy cookie almost like cake. They are not your traditional chewy or crispy cookie (perhaps leaving the water out would change that?)