Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This texas sheet cake has been in the family for years! Always moist and rich, and usually gone in a day, this cake will stay in my recipe books forever.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, blend sugar, flour, and salt.
- In 1 quart saucepan, combine water, butter, and cocoa, stirring to bring to a boil. Slowly pour over dry ingredients, beating well.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla, beating well.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- While still warm, ice with frosting and let cool.
- Heat butter, milk and cocoa to a boil then cool slightly. Add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add powdered sugar; add more milk as needed for consistency (should be thick).
- *Do this while cake is baking so it will be ready when the cake is still warm.