Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe; from what I'm told was handed down to my Grandmom from her Grandmom. Its a no fail (as far as taste goes) desert cake. It is a staple in our Christmas desert table and is perfect with a cup of coffee. Its easy to make and I've never meet a person who didn't like it.
- 1⁄4 lb butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and sour cream; mix well again.
- Add flour a little at a time; mix well.
- In another bowl mix cinnamon and sugar.
- Grease a tube pan well (a round pan with hole in the middle).
- Fill tube pan with layers
- Start with a layer of cinnamon and sugar.
- Then sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over cinnamon and sugar.
- Then layer 1/3 of the batter over the chips and nuts.
- Repeat until pan is full.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes.
- Let cake cool to take out of pan.
- Sprinkle confectioners' sugar on top of cooled cake through a shaker.
The recipe was easy to follow, though I was a little concerned when the batter was so thick. This cake got rave reviews in my ER, where I test all of my new recipes on willing guinea pigs! Everyone who ate it said the same thing, "It's sooo moist!" Will most definately be making this again.