Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
My Grandma used to make this when I was growing up. It's delish! You can use any type of filling that you prefer...doesn't have to be the nut filling.
- In a small bowl, mix water with yeast & 1 tsp sugar. Let stand until foamy.
- Mix flour , sugar, and salt. Cut in butter with pastry cutter (or 2 butter knives).
- Mix egg yolks with sour cream and add to yeast mixture.
- Make a well in flour mixture and add liquid mixture. Knead until smooth.
- Place dough in greased bowl and grease top of dough. Let rise until double in size (1 1/2 hours).
- Cut dough into 3. Roll each into a rectangle.
- Spread filling over dough and roll tightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Nut Filling: Mix first 5 ingredients together.
- Beat egg whites and fold into nut mixture.
- Fill roll.
- Alterations: Any pie filling or poppy seed filling can replace the nut filling.
- You can also refrigerate the dough overnight without first rising time and then cut into 3 pieces roll into rectangles then fill and roll. Let dough rise for 1 hour if refrigerating.