Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Here's another turkey recipe that I have made in the past. I didn't actually use the cooking bag, but used a large roaster with a vent in the lid. I did need to add a little liquid to the bottom of the pan to deglaze the yummy parts that stuck to the pan. DH liked it which was surprising, because he is a true believer that a turkey isn't worth making if it isn't stuffed with a bread stuffing, lol.
- 12 lbs whole turkey
- 2 lbs mixed dried fruit
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 4 granny smith apples, cut into wedges
- 3 oranges, juice of
- 9 ounces chipotle peppers
- 3 cups tequila
- 3 cups Grand Marnier
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Rinse turkey and pat dry inside and out; set aside.
- Combine dried fruit, raisins, and apples in a medium-size bowl.
- Put orange juice and chiles into a blender or food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup each of tequila and Grand Marnier, then pour the mixture over the.
- fruit and let rest 15 minutes.
- Drain the fruit, reserving the liquid.
- Cut half the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and combine with the fruit.
- Stuff cavity of the turkey with most of the fruit.
- Place the turkey in a roasting bag, arrange remaining fruit on top of the bird and pour reserved orange juice-liquor mix over it.
- Combine remaining tequila and Grand Marnier.
- Have ready a basting syringe fitted with a metal injection nozzle and inject.
- the mixture all over the turkey.
- Melt remaining butter and carefully pour over the turkey in the roasting bag.
- Seal bag and cut 1/4-inch slit on the top to let steam escape.
- Place in a roasting pan and roast for 2 1/2 hours.
- Every 30 minutes open bag (being careful to shield your face from steam) and inject more liquor, eventually using it up.
- When ready to serve, slit open bag, arrange turkey on a platter, and scoop out the fruit stuffing.
- Place all the fruit in a serving bowl.
- Strain the juices that have accumulated in the bag, skim off any fat, and serve in a gravy boat.