1/1 Photo of Gramma Bonitz's German Potato Salad
Handed down to my mom, then to me, and I've handed it down to my kids already too. A GREAT potluck dish, kept warm in a crockpot, usually NO leftovers (boo hoo!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -12 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 4 -6 eggs
- 8 potatoes, skins on
- 6 -10 radishes, sliced (optional)
- 1Fry the bacon, remove from pan as it gets crisp; set aside; reserve 2 T. bacon fat.
- 2Fry onion and celery in reserved fat until onion is transparent.
- 3While bacon is frying, hard-boil the eggs (bring water to boil; then boil for 4 minutes, then remove from heat, wait 11 minutes [set timer], pour off hot water and cover with COLD water).
- 4AND cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water until a fork pierces skin easily; pour off water, cool to touch, then peel skins off.
- 5Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch slices (bite-size pieces) in a large serving bowl.
- 6Remove egg shells, then coarsely chop or slice eggs and add to the potatoes.
- 7Thinly slice radishes over the eggs and potatoes; toss lightly; set aside.
- 8Return bacon to skillet with onion and celery pieces.
- 9Add water, vinegar and sugar to the skillet, stirring up any fond; quickly heat to boiling.
- 10Make a paste from the cornstarch and remaining water, add to boiling stuff in the skillet, stirring continuously until sauce thickens (1-2 minutes); remove from heat.
- 11Pour sauce (bacon, onion, etc.) over vegetables in bowl.
- 12Serve while warm or keep warm in a crockpot.
- 13Leftovers should be kept in fridge, warmed to room temp or zapped in the microwave.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gramma Bonitz's German Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.0
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 121.1 mg
- Sodium 251.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 10.3 g