Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
So simple, it's deceptive. Few ingredients, but great flavor and texture. This is a simple baked bean recipe that came to us through my aunt's neighbor's mother, Mrs. Beaton.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red kidney beans (I have also used pinto)
- 1 lb bacon, cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Soak beans over night.
- Place beans in bean pot or casserole with bacon, onion, and brown sugar.
- Cover with water.
- Bake at 325 Deg F until beans are done (4-6 hrs).
- Add more water if needed during cooking.
- Uncover last 30 minutes of cooking.
I made this from left over already cooked pinto beans. It had just the correct flavor. i did make 1/2 the recipe. It had just the right sweetness to it.The flavor was not overpowering. Since my family liked it I for sure will make it for them again.
I can't believe I forgot to rate this. I have been making this recipe for quite awhile. It is wonderful. Tastes like homemade Boston baked beans. I usually add 1/4 cup molasses and about a teasp. of dry mustard to it. Great recipe