Recipe by It's loose again
Fragrant Tomato Onion Sauce. Cook time includes 30 minute resting
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Although I do enjoy trying out sauces like this, I'm not much on the use of 'hot' chili peppers, so, in this recipe, I just used 1 seeded, well chopped jalapeno! In spite of cutting back on the heat, we both enjoyed this sauce, & I'm happy to keep the recipe around to make again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 hot chili peppers, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cover until they stop sputtering.
- Add onions and stir.
- Add cayenne and asafetida and cook, stirring, until the onions have wilted.
- Add tomatoes, salt and chilies. Cook partially covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving.