Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Given to me from a friend at work. She knows my tastes!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin lengthwise slices
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups half-and-half (or a combination of the two) or 2 cups milk (or a combination of the two)
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add apples. Saute 5 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionallyh. Set aside half the apples.
- Add shallot to saucepan and saute 1 minute. stir in flour, curry powder, and cinnamon and mix well. Gradually add half-and-half, stirring constantly to thicken. Add Gouda cheese, stirring until it melts.
- Pour soup into blender container and puree. Return to saucepan and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour bowls and ttop with reserved sauteed apple slices.
I like the flavor of this for sure! Be sure to buy good Gouda and don't skimp. The cheap cheese doesn't melt properly. My husband loves it, too!
I was really disappointed in this soup. I did everything as directed. It was frothy and the texture was odd. I'm giving it three stars because my husband liked it.
This recipe sounded so different that I just had to try it, and I'm so glad I did. It was really good. I didn't have any gouda cheese on hand, so I just used some American, but next time I'm going to make it with the suggested cheese. And instead of using butter, I used some reserved pear juice I had leftover. Thank you for the recipe!