Gorgonzola Fig Bites With Toasted Almonds
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Trim stems from figs and remove a small slice from the bottom so they will stand upright. Make a half-inch cut in the top of each fig and then another perpendicular to the first cut so that there is a cross-shaped opening in the top of each fig.
- Place figs on a baking sheet and stuff some of the cheese into the top of each.
- Drizzle figs lightly with olive oil and grind some black pepper on top.
- Place in the oven and broil until the cheese bubbles, about two minutes.
- Remove and top each fig with almonds. Drizzle with honey if using and serve immediately.