Recipe by Toby Jermain
My wife, Glenda, found the basic recipe for this attached to a bunch of asparagus, and everything kinda grew from there.
- 12 ounces uncooked dry fettuccine (or other 'long' pasta) or 12 ounces fresh fettuccine (or other 'long' pasta)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, rinsed, trimmed, and cut in 1 inch pieces (about 1-1/2 lb, (or more)
- 1⁄4 lb deli prosciutto, sliced 1/16 inch thick, cut in about 1/4 inch squares (we use Boar's Head , about)
- 1 lb medium to large shrimp, cooked, peeled, deveined, and each cut in 2 to 3 pieces
- 3 -4 scallions, cut in 1/2 inch pieces (green onions)
- 2 -6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, to taste
- 2 -3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and cut in 1/4 inch dice (Roma)
- 1 cup heavy cream, about
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 -8 ounces stravecchio cheese or 6-8 ounces good quality parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shredded or freshly grated, plus additional for passing
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- green salad, as accompaniments
- hot ciabatta, as accompaniments
- butter, as accompaniments
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 1-1/2 gallons of heavily salted water to a full rolling boil in a large pot, and add 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- If using dry pasta, add pasta, and cook for 10-12 minutes, until almost al dente.
- Add asparagus, and cook for about another 1-2 minutes, until pasta is al dente and asparagus is crisp-tender.
- If using fresh pasta add asparagus to boiling water, allow to return to a boil, add fresh pasta, and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until pasta is al dente and asparagus is crisp-tender.
- In either case, drain, drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, toss, and set aside until needed.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil until shimmering.
- Add scallions, garlic, and prosciutto, and cook until fragrant.
- Add shrimp, and toss and stir until shrimp is heated.
- Add cream and cheese, and toss and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add pasta and asparagus, and toss until everything is combined and heated through.
- Serve immediately with additional cheese on the side.
- This goes great with a green salad and hot ciabatta bread with butter.