Recipe by Jodi Consoli
Best home made play dough recipe! No endless stirring over the stove top. No baking in the oven. I got this recipe when I was a preschool teacher and have tresured it. GREAT texture....only thing it is missing is the smell of store bought play dough. It calls for Kool Aid to color and scent...but personally I never make it with Kool Aid because I don't want my children to think it is food - it is hard enough to keep kids from eating play dough. But the new neon food colors work really good to get nice color. (DOES NOT AIR DRY OR BAKE WELL)
Top Review by PamperedChefAngie
this is a favorite in our house... no more store bought clays or play doughs!!! haven't for years... my kids have loved picking their colors and scents from the kool-aid section for their clay/dough!! Thanks for posting this recipe. :)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package unsweetened Kool-Aid powdered drink mix (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup boiling water (mixed with food color if you are not using Kool Aid)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add oil and water - if you wanted different colors, you can add the food color after the dough is mixed, but it is easier to mix it in with the water.
- Mix the ingredients quickly to blend everything. The dough should be stiff and begin to form a ball.
- Let dough cool slightly, then drop onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minute.
- Store in an air tight container for hours of fun whenever you want it!