Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was one of my favorites growing up, and I still love it! Quick and pretty easy too! Its a fun recipe to play with too, sometimes I use mozzerella cheese, italian seasoning and add mushrooms for pizza burgers!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 slices American cheese (can use other types if you like)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (not pasta sauce, just plain tomato sauce)
- 1 dash garlic powder, and other seasonings (I like italian seasonings)
- Divide ground beef into 8 flat patties.
- Put one slice of cheese each of four of the patties.
- Place the un-cheesed patties on top of the cheesed ones.
- Smash them closed, make sure they aren't too fat.
- Season the burgers however you want, garlic is a must.
- Place the four burgers in a skillet and brown a little while on each side.
- Once they are browned and holding together well, add both cans of sauce.
- Let the sauce and burgers simmer until cooked through.
- Its ok if some of the cheese oozes out, it flavors the sauce.
- Serve over cooked pasta or by itself.
This recipe is great! The cheese melts through the burger and makes the tomato sauce cheesy. Mmmm. Make sure you use lean beef, or drain the grease before adding the sauce. OK, I'll come clean. I am the 'mom', and MY mom first made these, and has been making them for over 50 years! Yummy!