Recipe by Sgt. Pepper
Granny's recipe straight out of the Texas Hill Country. Hope you will enjoy this easy to make delight.
Top Review by Stacky5
YUM! This is the first pie like this that my family has ever tasted -- and it is wonderful! So easy to make, rich, yet not sickeningly sweet...I really liked the custard-like texture with the slightly crisp top...I also found that I should have used a deep-dish crust, because I couldn't fit all of the filling in the crust I had. Other than that, I made this one exactly as written, and I can honestly say that it is a new keeper in my family! I can't WAIT to take this pie to my sisters' next get-together! (Oh, and one more thing -- my kids HATE buttermilk -- so please don't tell them it's in here! They think this is a "sugar pie" and therefore gave it 5 stars all around!) LOL! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe, Sarge!
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 unbaked pie shell, 10-inch
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and blend in sugar and flour mixing well.
- Add eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla gradually stir in buttermilk.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 325 for 55 minutes.
- Place on rack to cool.
- Note: When filling is mixed it has a curdled look. That's okay it's supposed to look like that.
- This pie freezes well also. Just wrap good in plastic wrap then place in jumbo freezer bag.