Simple and oh so good, with a little spicy heat from the red chiles! Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Peel the potatoes with a paring knife and cut them lengthwise into sixths or smaller if potatoes are big.
- Toss them with just enought oil to coat and season with salt.
- Bake until they are tender and covered with a golden crust, about 1 hour, turning them a few times so that they color evenly.
- Serve with the mayonnaise.
- Chile Mayonnaise:.
- Stir the ground red chile with the mayonnaise. Remember, the heat will increase as it sits!
- Green Chile Mayonnaise:.
- Add several minced and seeded jalapenos, an unseeded serrano chile, or a large Anaheim chile, grilled, peeled, seeded, and finely minced.
- Chipotle Mayonnaise:.
- For a smoky hot mayonnaise, stir in a little pureed canned chipotle chile. Add chopped scallions, garlic, and cilantro, if desired, to taste.