Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad goes great with BBQ pork or lamb. Dress it up a bit with a sprig or two of fresh parsley
- 4 carrots, finely grated
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄4 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup other cheese, of your choice
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lite olive oil or 1 tablespoon other salad oil
- salt & pepper
- Grate the apple and immediately add the lemon juice, oil& seasoning to prevent discoloration Mix together the carrots, manderin oranges, dates& cheese.
- Toss all ingredients together, chill or serve at room temperature.
This combination of ingredients is both a surprise and a delight. It was a wonderful combination of sweet and tangy/tart harmonized by a drizzling of olive oil. When I first read the recipe I was immediately struck by the fact that there were potentially three orange coloured components. (carrots, mandrin oranges and cheddar cheese) I was not altogether sure that I wanted to go that route. As well as that there was a potential for a sameness in textures with the grated carrot, apple and possibly the cheese. For that reason I choose an extra old white cheddar cheese and cubed it. This gave us both a texture variation as well as a tangyness, and the grated apple (Granny Smith) coupled with the lemon juice the tartness. These two kept the dates and mandarins from appearing overwhelmingly sweet. I nested the works in a bowl lined with the greenest loose-leaf lettuce I could find An awesome combination, thank you Bergy.