Prep 1 hr
Cook 17 mins
Prep time includes the 30 minutes of chill time.
- 3 cups flaked sweetened coconut (about 7 oz)
- 2 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl combine flaked and shredded coconut until evenly mixed.
- (Flaked coconut should be broken into separate flakes with only a few very small clumps present).
- In a medium mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, and salt.
- Add egg ehites, honey and vanilla.
- Whisk rapidly until smooth.
- Pour sugar and egg white mixture over coconut mixture.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, then use hands and continue to blend until evenly mixed.
- Cover with plastic wrap; chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a large cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of macaroon batter onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Gently pinch mounds into shaggy pyramids.
- Bake 17 to 19 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Transfer macaroons immediately to a cooling rack.
I use this for my family's annual cookie swap, and I make 6 doz. Its so easy and delicious. My husband wishes all 6 doz were his, and he wines when I leave for the party with all 'his' cookies!