Recipe by Ceezie
This is a great snack ... I got the recipe from TOH
Top Review by HokiesMom
This is a tasty bread. I wish there was a bit more of the lemon flavor in the actual bread and not just through the glaze. I think next time I make it I'm going to add a bit of lemon peel to the actual batter. Personally it was a bit too much glaze too so I'm going to reduce it by a fourth next time. I plan on adding this to my Christmas day menu as it will be a refreshing and not overly sweet treat to share on the buffet. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack. Check around 45-50 min.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; immediately pour over warm bread. Cool completely before removing from pan.