Andrea in NH's Note:
This is from the TOH F/M 04 issue. This is such a versital recipe. It goes from picnic table to dining room table. I used low sodium soup and used 6 grain bread instead of French bread. I halved the recipe, for 2 of us, and used it as a side dish to Beef Burgundy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute onions in butter for about 12 minutes.
- 2In a bowl, combine soup, milk, pepper, and 2 c cheese.
- 3Stir in onions.
- 4Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- 5Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 6Brush bread with melted butter, on one side.
- 7Arrange butter side up over cheese.
- 8Bake, uncovered, at 350, for 25-30 minutes.
- 9If desired, broil 4-6 inches from heat until golden brown.
- 10Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Baked Onions
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 916.1
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 27.9 g
- Cholesterol 130.6 mg
- Sodium 1358.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 38.5 g