Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from the TOH F/M 04 issue. This is such a versital recipe. It goes from picnic table to dining room table. I used low sodium soup and used 6 grain bread instead of French bread. I halved the recipe, for 2 of us, and used it as a side dish to Beef Burgundy.
- Saute onions in butter for about 12 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine soup, milk, pepper, and 2 c cheese.
- Stir in onions.
- Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Brush bread with melted butter, on one side.
- Arrange butter side up over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350, for 25-30 minutes.
- If desired, broil 4-6 inches from heat until golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
So nice to see that you had the same idea I did when I made your recipe ~ I substituted some nutty, whole grain bread for the less tasty kind, but otherwise worked my way right down your recipe & we had an absolutely delicious side dish! Definitely worth making again! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed for the closing of Pick A Chef event]
Also found this in TOH. It is such a great and easy to put together recipe. It has become a Thanksgiving tradition for our family. We love the flavor and will make this many more times. Thanks for posting it!!