Recipe by DeeCooks
This was an appetizer I had at a wine festival in Santa Cruz, but we've had it as dinner, too. I love goat cheese....Since I keep bacon and bacon fat in the freezer, and goat cheese (chevre) freezes well, it's a very easy dinner. Update: I've started garnishing this with more of a tomato salad/bruschetta type topping with basil, olive oil and balsamic tossed with the tomatoes and it's SO good! Some toasted pine nuts work well with that all too! I also found that a Jiffy corn bread mix will make the corn cakes easily...just add the corn, onions and cayenne to the mix. Even easier!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups corn (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 5 ounces goat cheese (chevre)
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced fine
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop bacon coarsely and fry til crisp. Pour off all but about two tablespoons of the fat (keep the crispies at the bottom!).
- Cook onion until the onion is soft and sweet about 5 minutes, add corn, cook another two to three minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together corn meal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne. Make a well and mix in buttermilk and egg. Stir in half the goat cheese and green onions and mix gently.
- Wipe out the skillet and spray well with Pam or use olive oil, and drop 1/4 cupful of batter at a time. Watch out, they'll spread some. It takes about two minutes per side.
- Serve each with a spoonful of the rest of the goat cheese, bacon, chopped tomato, and some green onions sprinkled on top.