Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This tart is lovely and tender-both in flavor and bite.
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh basil
- 7 ounces room temp goat cheese
- 6 tablespoons room temp unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 lb cherry tomatoes or 3⁄4 lb yellow cherry tomato, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For crust cut butter into small pieces.
- In a food processor pulse together flour, cornmeal and salt.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add ice water 1 T.
- at a time, pulsing after each addition.
- Press dough evenly into bottom and up the sides of a 10x7x1 inch rectangular tart pan-removeable sides are helpful.
- Trim dough flush with top of tart pan.
- Chill crust for 15 minutes, then cover with foil and weights and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove weights and foil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and place on a rack to cool while preparing filling.
- Chop basil well.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cheese, butter, sour cream, eggs, and pepper.
- Stir in basil.
- Pour into prepared crust and arrange halved tomatoes, cut side up over custard.
- Lightly press tomatoes into custard.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the lower third of your oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove to cooling rack.
- Cut and serve warm or freeze.
A beautiful tart you can serve for company. Easy and tasty; the goat cheese base is more versatile than a quiche as it is still yummy at room temperature.
This was fantastic - tasted like something you'd buy at an expensive cafe. The polenta/cornmeal in the base gave it a fabulous texture and flavour.