Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Barbara Cousins "Cooking Without"
- 170 g dried dates
- 140 ml water
- 115 ml sunflower oil
- 30 g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 eggs (or Egg Replacer)
- 55 g rice flour
- 55 g soya flour
- 55 g cornflour or 55 g potato flour
- 455 g mixed dried fruit (Raisins, Currants, Sultanas)
- Chop dates into small pieces and place in a pan with the water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat for approimately 10 minutes until the dates are soft.
- Cool the date mixture.
- Process or beat together the date mixture, oil, ground almonds, spice, eggs and flours until they are well blended.
- Stir in the dried fruit and mix well by hand.
- Place into a lined and greased 6"- 8" cake tin and bake at Gas Mark 3, 330 oF, 170 oC for approximately 30 minutes, then lower the temperature to Gas Mark 1, 290 oF, 145 oC for a further 45 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire tray.
- Remove the lining paper and allow to cool.
- Store in the fridge and eat within 2 weeks, or freeze (in slices).
Absolutely wonderful!!!!! The best so far - and I've tried every glutenfree Xmas Cake recipe ever written! Deffo use this EVERY year from now on. Thank you soooooooo much!!!!!