Recipe by lesliel8
These aren't the oatmeal crumble kind, which she called matrimony cake. These are a simple, quick sort of square that always appeared when she needed to cheer herself up. It came from great-aunt Sara.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the dates finely and break up larger pieces of walnut.
- Combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut if desired.
- Beat the eggs well until they froth. Add the sugar and beat well.
- Blend in the dates and walnuts, then the dry ingredients.
- Spread in a rectangular baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven 30 minutes. Watch carefully towards the end to avoid overcooking.