1/1 Photo of Glazed Chocolate Cake
1 hr 5 mins
Jim Dodge, San Francisco's most famous pastry chef, came up with this holiday treat. From "Plain & Fancy Cakes", Good Food Magazine, December 1988. Preparation time given does not include 45 minutes of cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 8-inch round cake pan, 1-1/2 inches deep.
- 2Prepare chocolate cake: beat butter in mixer bowl until light. Add sugar; beat until smooth. Sift flour, baking powder, and cocoa together. Add half to butter mixture and blend. Mix in milk, then remaining flour mixture. Add egg and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- 3Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- 4Prepare chocolate glaze: melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler over hot water. Remove pan from water and stir until chocolate mixture is warm, not hot.
- 5Place wire rack over large piece of waxed paper. Remove cake from pan and place right side up on wire rack. Pour glaze evenly around top edge of cake and spread over top and sides of cake with long, thin knife. Let stand until glaze is set, about 10 minutes.
- 6Slide metal spatula under cake and transfer to serving plate. Store in refrigerator but let warm to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.7
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.0 mg
- Sodium 66.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g