1/3 Photos of Gingersnaps (Pepparkakor)
Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without these cookies on the Smorgasboard table. We cut them in all kinds of shapes, stars, hearts, goats, reindeer, you name it. Don't just save them for the holidays, however, these are great any time of the year. It's key to roll these very thin before cutting out, as that is what gives the cookie it's traditional "snap". These cookies are a bit of work, but the dough freezes beautifully, so make a batch of dough, cut and bake a few, then freeze the rest for another day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring sugar, syrup, ginger, and cloves to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- 2Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- 3Add the baking soda to the sugar mixture, then pour over the butter.
- 4Stir until the butter is melted.
- 5Add the egg and flour. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- 6Knead the dough, then place in the refrigerator to chill.
- 7Roll out the dough on a floured board to 1/16 inch thickness.
- 8Using a knife or fancy cookie cutters, cut the dough into shapes.
- 9Place cookies on a greased (or nonstick) baking sheet.
- 10Bake at 325F for 8-10 minutes.
- 11Cookies will firm up as they cool.
- 12Re-roll the scraps and repeat until all of the dough is used.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingersnaps (Pepparkakor)
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.5
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 216.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 3.6 g