Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From "Stocking Up" 3rd Edition. Gingered watermelon rind recipe to follow...
- 1⁄2 cup dried peaches, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup dried apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried pears, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried fig, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup prune, dried, chopped
- 1 cup dates, coarsely chopped, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin, seedless
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup gingered watermelon, rind
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped or 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Butter two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Line with wax paper; butter wax paper. Preheat oven to 325 deg.
- In a med. bowl, combine all fruits & nuts; set aside.
- In a lg. mixing bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, baking powder, & spices.
- In a sm. mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add honey, molesses, sour cream, butter, vanilla extract, & almond extract. Mix well.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture, then add fruit-and-nut mixture. Mix well.
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 325 deg. for 60-65 minute until cake tests done.
- Cool in pans 10 minute Turn cakes out onto a wire rack. Peel off wax paper. Cool completely.
- When cooled, wrap tightly in foil & store in refrigerator or freezer.
- If desired, garnish with chopped watermelon rind before serving.