1/1 Photo of Gingered Acorn Squash Soup
1 hr 56 mins
1 hr 36 mins
Gingered Acorn Squash Soup is very easy to make, and the rich color, creamy texture, and hint of ginger contribute to its gourmet appeal. This came from the Ventura County Star newspaper in California. Miso can be found in health food stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large acorn squash (3 lbs. each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetarian chicken broth or 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, boiling
- 1/2 cup enriched soymilk or 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup mellow white miso
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1Cut the acorn squash in half, crosswise.
- 2Scoop out seeds and discard.
- 3Place cut side down in 9 x13 baking pans (you will need two) and add about one inch of water.
- 4Bake for an hour.
- 5Remove from pans and set aside to cool.
- 6If the squash are rather small, it might take as many as five squash to make the required six pounds.
- 7Simply quarter some of the smaller squash to fit the baking pans.
- 8Warm the oil and crushed pepper in a five-quart saucepan, over medium-high heat for one minute.
- 9Add the garlic, onion, and ginger.
- 10Cook for three minutes, add potatoes and cook mixture, stirring frequently for five minutes or until the potatoes soften.
- 11Add boiling broth and reduce heat to medium low.
- 12Scoop cooked squash (about eight cups) into a large bowl and mash lightly before adding to the pot.
- 13Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 14Remove soup to food processor in batches, adding some soymilk to each batch.
- 15Return the purée to the soup pot.
- 16Place miso in a small bowl, add the sherry, and blend with a fork or small whisk.
- 17Add to the soup with the garlic, ginger, and nutmeg.
- 18Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- 19Do not boil.
- 20(Soup may be thinned with additional broth.) Sprinkle with a light dusting of nutmeg.
- 22Yield: 8 servings.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingered Acorn Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.5
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 874.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian chicken broth