Recipe by Donna Matthews
This yummy gingerbread, which came from "Diet for a Small Planet", gets its protein from the combination of whole wheat and soy flours.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cut butter or margarine into small cubes.
- Pour boiling water over butter to melt it.
- (This could also be accomplished in the microwave).
- Beat into this mixture, the molasses and brown sugar.
- Being sure that the mixture is not hot, beat in the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Stir, then beat them into the molasses mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 35-45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Serve with whipped cream or applesauce.