Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This makes a nice hostess gift, housewarming gift or even a bridal gift. I put the cake mix in a glass jar with ribbon tied around it. Then put that in a basket along with 9-inch baking dish, jar of molasses, 4 mugs and a bag of fru-fru coffee. Recipe and basket idea are adapted from The Perfect Mix, by Diane Phillips.
Top Review by Grammy Bunny
Nurse Di: This is a life saver...have been wracking my brain trying to come up with a unique bridal shower gift for someone who already has everything! I think that I can safely say she'll love this. Thanks, also, for including the suggested "packaging." This recipe sounds too good not to try it myself; lots of spices,plus sour cream AND heavy on the molasses... perfect! Grammy Bunny
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Transfer mixture to an air-tight container.
- Include the following instructions for making Gingerbread Cake: Grease a 9-inch baking dish.
- Put 1 container of Gingerbread Cake Mix into a mixing bowl; make a well in the middle of the mixture.
- Add in 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup molasses.
- Beat on low speed with an electric mixer until the batter comes together.
- Gradually add in 1 cup boiling water; stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into baking dish and bake in a 350° oven for 35 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream.