Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an amazing cake. The wonderful taste of gingerbread in a cake form. It smells wonderful baking too. I generally frost his with a cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in center of oven.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- In bowl of your electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon zest and molasses and beat to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk, alternately, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Beat just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing cake from pan.
- Let cool completely and then frost if desired.
- If desired, garnish the top of the frosted cake with toasted walnuts.