Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Nice and spicy. The flavor always brings a feeling of warmth and cheer to me. The aroma is positively divine. Makes 2 loaves, one for now, and one you can wrap and freeze for later, or to give as a gift!
For the Bread
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream brown sugar with the butter until it is light and fluffy, then add the eggs and mix well.
- Stir up the molasses, water, and baking soda in a separate bowl, and then add that mixture to the creamed sugar; stir until well blended.
- Add the other ingredients, one at a time, beating after each addition, alternating with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly among the two pans and bake in a preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until it springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- Remove from oven and cool in pans for 15 minutes on a wire rack, then remove the breads from the pans to cool completely on the wire racks.
- To prepare glaze, mix together the sugar with the milk, adding the milk gradually until it attains a drizzling consistency.
- Spread the glaze over the gingerbread when they have cooled completely.
- Store gingerbread in a airtight container in the refrigerator.