Recipe by Bayhill
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Caribbean. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook. Note: cooking/preparation times include refrigeration time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin (1 Tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- crystallized ginger, pieces (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, soften gelatin in water, 3 to 5 minutes. Place bowl over hot water; stir until gelatin dissolves. Keep warm.
- Pour half and half into a small saucepan. Stir constantly over low heat until almost boiling.
- In the top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks until blended; beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Gradually stir in hot half and half; place over hot water. Stir constantly until warmed through.
- Stir in dissolved gelatin and chopped ginger. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in rum.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; stir in remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar and the salt. Carefully fold egg-yolk mixture into egg-white mixture.
- Spoon mousse into a serving bowl or individual dessert dishes. Cover; refrigerate about 3 hours. To serve, decorate with crystallized ginger pieces.