Rice & Almond Pudding (Ris a L'amande)
photo by Linky
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
Quick cherry sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- cherry flavored liqueur, if desired
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice and milk. Cook over medium heat 45 minutes or until rice is tender; set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream until stiff; stir in vanilla. Stir whipped cream, sugar and chopped almonds into cooled rice mixture. Spoon into a serving dish. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- To make sauce: Heat cherries with juice. Dissolve cornstarch in a little water. Stir into cherries; gently stir over medium heat until thickened. Flavor with liquer, if desired. Serve rice pudding with hot cherry sauce.
- Interesting note: It was once traditional in Denmark to include 1 whole almond in the rice pudding. The person who found it would receive the prize-a marzipan pig.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi! Thank you for visiting my About Me page. I live in northern California (about 2 hours north of Sacramento). My husband and I live on 10 acres where we grow alfalfa and have a small family orchard of fruit and nut trees. We also have 2 horses, 2 cats, a Dexter cow and calf, and 13 chickens.<br /><br />I am married to a wonderful guy (since 1979), and we have two terrific kids. Our daughter (born in 1981) has her college degree in microbiology. Our son (born in 1983) has his college degree in computer science.</p>