Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Dark and moist with molasses...these muffins are for gingerbread lovers..
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses, unsulphured
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400* --
- Lightly grease, spray or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and cloves in a large bowl, and stir till well blended.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, molasses, oil and egg.
- Add to the dry ingredients all at once and fold just until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly amond the muffin cups.
- Bake until the edges begin to pull away from sides and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean -- 20-22 minutes.
- cool on wire rack before removing from pans.