Recipe by Sueie
One of my favourites, love ginger and love dates. Always popular
Top Review by Missy Wombat
This muffin recipe seemed so promising but it just didn't work for us. The baking time is much greater than 15 minutes even in our convection oven that normally requires a few minutes to be chopped off the time. The muffins were left in the hot oven in the hope that they were firm up a bit but it remained a very soft and sticky muffin even with the extra time. Not hardy enough for the school lunchbox. The taste is good but very sweet and my almost 5 year old wouldn't finish hers because she thought they were too sweet. The basic idea of these recipes is good but I think the recipe needs a bit of fiddling with to get a better consistency and to reduce the sweetness.
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed pitted dates, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare twelve muffin cups.
- In a bowl sift together, flour, ginger, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and golden syrup until combined.
- In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in flour and egg and egg mixtures until just combined and stir in dates.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes.