Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Watched her make these on Everyday Italian. Looks like they were simple to make, which is good because I bet they would be eaten very quickly !
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, for coating
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, for coating
- Cut open vanilla bean lengthwise.
- Using back back of a knife, scrape out the vanilla seeds.
- Add seeds to 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon, stirring to combine; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, salt, 3 tbsp sugar and water over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Take pan off the heat and stir in the flour.
- Return pan to heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer flour mixture to a medium bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer on low, add eggs, 1 at a time, blending each well.
- Beat until smooth.
- If not using dough immediately, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile pour enough oil into a large fry pan to reach a depth of 2 inches.
- Heat oil over medium heat until temp reaches 375°F.
- Using a small ice cream scooper or 2 small spoons, carefully drop about a tablespoon of the dough into the hot oil, frying in batches.
- Turn the zeppole once or twice, cooking until golden and puffed up, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Toss with cinnamon sugar.
- Serve immediately.