Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 cups rice
- 1⁄2 lb mutton or 1⁄2 lb chicken, cut in pieces as for stew
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1⁄2 cup channa dal
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder
- 2 green chilies
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- Cook meat with salt, pepper, spices and green chillies till tender (using only sufficient water).
- Boil chana dal in salted water till done.
- Boil rice.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, fry a little sliced onion with jeera powder in ghee.
- Be sure to save a little onion for decoration on top.
- Add rice to the browned onion with the cooked meat and dhal and gently toss together to ensure even distribution.
- Pour another tablespoon of ghee over the top with the remaining onions.
- Sprinkle a few tablespoons of water.
- Steam till done.
Where do I start? My DH and I LOVE the intense flavors of Indian cuisine. This recipe is a perfect one for anyone looking to try mildly spiced Indian. If I made again, I would probably double or triple the spices; I also added chicken stock during steps 7 through 10. Next, I would give it another star except that it has a typo -- it calls for onion but does not list it in the ingredients.