Recipe by HeatherFeather
I translated this from "Frau im Trend," a German cooking magazine. Cook time is actually all chilling time. This is a pretty creamy gelatin based torte chock full of fresh strawberries. It is bright pink and would be a nice treat for a special Valentine's Day dinner or would be a real showstopper for the Fourth of July.
For the crust
- 125 g sweet unsalted butter, melted
- 150 g shortbread cookies or 150 g vanilla wafers, crushed into crumbs
For the filling
- 12 leaves plain gelatin
- 750 g fresh strawberries, washed,hulled,quartered
- 100 ml carbonated lemon-lime beverage (such as Sprite)
- 2 teaspoons tequila
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 500 g fresh strawberries, thinly sliced,divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 20 g chopped pistachios, optional garnish
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar, optional garnish
- fresh mint leaves or lemon balm leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together melted butter with cookie crumbs and form a crust in the bottom of a parchment lined 26 cm size springform pan, using a spoon to help press firmly; chill 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Place gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water to soften.
- Portion out 750 grams of the berries into a blender and puree along with tequila, lemon-lime soda, 150 grams sugar, and the lemon juice.
- Remove the gelatin leaves from the water and squeeze out the extra moisture.
- Place gelatin in a saucpean and cook over low heat until melted, remove from heat.
- Add a small amount of the berry puree into the gelatin and whisk together (this is to temper it- do not skip), then pour the gelatin mixture into the rest of the puree and mix together; chill in fridge 30 minutes.
- Beat the cream until soft peaks form, and then gently fold into the partly gelled mixture until combined.
- Pour into the crust, smooth evenly with a spatula, and chill 3 hours.
- Take 100 grams of the remaining berries and puree along with 1 tsp.
- Remove the outer ring from the springform pan and pour the puree over the top.
- Decoratively place the remaining berry slices on top of the torte, completely covering the surface.
- Toss nuts with powdered sugar- then press the nuts in a ring around the outer edge (or just sprinkle them on top if you prefer- or omit them).
- Garnish if desired with some fresh sprigs of mint or lemon balm.