Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This sounds so good!! My grandmother made one that was very similar but I was never able to get the recipe from her
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Proof the yeast in warm water about 105-115 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in hot milk; add sugar, salt, and cardamom.
- Cool to luke warm; stir in 2 cups flour. Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir in yeast, fruit peels, and nuts.
- Add remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface; cover and let rise 10 minutes.
- Knead 5 minutes until smooth and satiny. Place in lightly greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down; divide in 3 equal parts. Cover and let rise about 30 mins more. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the bread.
It is called " Stollen" and it is not a bread but a coffe cake. It is a christmas specialty.