Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet on our Immigrant Ancesters. Try it, it's great.
- 4 slices bacon, thick, diced
- 2 cups peeled and chopped yellow onions
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Saute bacon.
- Drain most of the fat from the pan.
- Add the onions and saute until clear.
- Do not brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs and sour cream together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top and beat it into the sour cream mixture.
- Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Prick the bottom of the pie shell several times with a fork.
- Spread the onions and bacon over the bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350ºF.
- and bake for another 15 minutes or until pie is nicely browned.
- Serve hot!
SO GOOD! I have made this twice now to bring to parties and it has been very well recieved. The filling is a breeze to make and very tasty. I highly recommend this everyone.
This was divine!!! Thank you a thousand times over. I had this from someone once, and I am glad to now know how to make it myself! Very easy, and yummy! Made no changes!
VERY good with one to two teaspoons of caraway seeds added (sehr echt!).