Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet on our Immigrant Ancesters. Try it, it's great.
Make and share this German Onion Pie (Zweibelkuchen) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Saute bacon.
- Drain most of the fat from the pan.
- Add the onions and saute until clear.
- Do not brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs and sour cream together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top and beat it into the sour cream mixture.
- Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Prick the bottom of the pie shell several times with a fork.
- Spread the onions and bacon over the bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350ºF.
- and bake for another 15 minutes or until pie is nicely browned.
- Serve hot!
SO GOOD! I have made this twice now to bring to parties and it has been very well recieved. The filling is a breeze to make and very tasty. I highly recommend this everyone.
This was divine!!! Thank you a thousand times over. I had this from someone once, and I am glad to now know how to make it myself! Very easy, and yummy! Made no changes!
VERY good with one to two teaspoons of caraway seeds added (sehr echt!).