Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are "Hackfleisch Kuechle" translating roughly into Ground Beef Meat Balls... Its a great versatile dish that can be served with mashed potatoes rice or even french fries.. Left over meat balls are great cold, sliced in half in a Kaiser Roll!!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 bell pepper (yellow or red)
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch paprika, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brown gravy mix (optional)
- Dice bell pepper and onion and set aside.
- Mix ground beef with egg, bread crumbs, mustard and 1/2 of your diced onions.
- form roughly 6 meatballs (each meat ball should fit into your cupped hand and roll in some bread crumbs and pad lightly on both sides to flatten them on 2 sides.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and brown meatballs harshly on both sides until nice dark and firm crust has formed (approximately 5 min on each side), take care to only turn them once
- Remove the meatballs from the pan an set aside.
- brown remainder of your onions together with the bell pepper in the left over oil/browning juices.
- Ad water in small steps to loosen all the browned particles from the pan to create a nice dark gravy. Finish the gravy with some cream and the tablespoon of gravy mix to thicken it.
- Place the meatballs back into the gravy and let all simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with your choice of sides.