1 hr 20 mins
Very rich and luscious cake. Creative International Cook Book
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, separated (egg yolks will be used one at a time, so keep them separated from each other)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 8 tablespoons rum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups sifted all purpose white flour
BUTTER CREAM FILLING
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1To prepare cake, cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 2Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- 3Mix in lemon rind and 2 tablespoons rum.
- 4Sift baking powder and flour together.
- 5Gently mix into butter mixture.
- 6Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- 7Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- 8Pour into a well-greased 10 inch tube pan.
- 9Bake in a preheated 325°F oven about 60 minutes, until cake tests done.
- 10Cool cake in the pan 10 minutes, then turn out on wire rack to cool completely.
- 11Slice cake crosswise into 3 layers.
- 12Pour about 2 tablespoons rum over EACH layer.
- 13For butter-cream filling, boil sugar and water to 238°F (soft ball stage).
- 14Beat egg yolks until very light and fluffy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 15While still beating the egg yolks, add the sugar syrup in a THIN STREAM.
- 16Beat 5 minutes more, until very thick and doubled in bulk.
- 17Slowly beat in rum.
- 18Beat the butter in a small bowl until soft and light.
- 19Beat butter into the egg mixture a little at a time.
- 20Continue beating until thick.
- 21Chill until mixture can be spread.
- 22If mixture is too soft, beat in additional butter.
- 23While butter cream is cooling, spread 2 tablespoons butter thickly in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan for praline topping.
- 24Then, in a 1-quart saucepan boil sugar and water to 239°F (soft ball stage).
- 25Stir in almonds; cook until mixture reaches 310°F or until syrup caramelizes.
- 26Pour syrup into prepared baking pan.
- 27When cool, break up praline and grind it in a blender for a few seconds.
- 28Finally, heat jam with sugar and press through a strainer or sieve to make apricot glaze.
- 29To assemble cake, place bottom layer of cake on a cake plate and spread with half of the butter cream.
- 30Repeat with second layer.
- 31Place third layer on top.
- 32Spread tops and sides of cake with apricot glaze.
- 33Press praline powder into glaze.
- 34Any remaining butter cream can be used to decorate top of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Frankfurt Crown Cake
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.5
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 286.5 mg
- Sodium 291.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 64.9 g
- Protein 10.1 g