Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very rich and luscious cake. Creative International Cook Book
Make and share this German Frankfurt Crown Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, separated (egg yolks will be used one at a time, so keep them separated from each other)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 8 tablespoons rum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted all purpose white flour
BUTTER CREAM FILLING
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup blanched sliced almonds
- To prepare cake, cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Mix in lemon rind and 2 tablespoons rum.
- Sift baking powder and flour together.
- Gently mix into butter mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Pour into a well-greased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F oven about 60 minutes, until cake tests done.
- Cool cake in the pan 10 minutes, then turn out on wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice cake crosswise into 3 layers.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons rum over EACH layer.
- For butter-cream filling, boil sugar and water to 238°F (soft ball stage).
- Beat egg yolks until very light and fluffy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- While still beating the egg yolks, add the sugar syrup in a THIN STREAM.
- Beat 5 minutes more, until very thick and doubled in bulk.
- Slowly beat in rum.
- Beat the butter in a small bowl until soft and light.
- Beat butter into the egg mixture a little at a time.
- Continue beating until thick.
- Chill until mixture can be spread.
- If mixture is too soft, beat in additional butter.
- While butter cream is cooling, spread 2 tablespoons butter thickly in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan for praline topping.
- Then, in a 1-quart saucepan boil sugar and water to 239°F (soft ball stage).
- Stir in almonds; cook until mixture reaches 310°F or until syrup caramelizes.
- Pour syrup into prepared baking pan.
- When cool, break up praline and grind it in a blender for a few seconds.
- Finally, heat jam with sugar and press through a strainer or sieve to make apricot glaze.
- To assemble cake, place bottom layer of cake on a cake plate and spread with half of the butter cream.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Place third layer on top.
- Spread tops and sides of cake with apricot glaze.
- Press praline powder into glaze.
- Any remaining butter cream can be used to decorate top of cake.