Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This pie is very rich and delicious. The crust is unique. Recipe is from All Recipes.
Make and share this German Chocolate Angel Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- n a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt and beat until whites stand in soft peaks.
- Add sugar gradually and beat until very stiff.
- Fold in chopped nuts and 1 teaspoon. vanilla.
- Turn the meringue into a buttered 9 inch pie plate.
- Spread over bottom and sides of plate, building up the sides 1/2 inch above the edge of the plate.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in coffee.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Fold 1/3 of the cream into the melted chocolate, then fold the chocolate mixture back into the whipped cream until no streaks remain.
- Work quickly to prevent the chocolate from seizing up.
- Spoon mixture into meringue shell.
- Chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator.