Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is really called Compst Borscht but I didn't know how to spell that!! My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me. It jars well and makes a large batch. A family favorite. Top with sour cream or float rye bread on top before serving..
- 2 quarts water
- 1 head cabbage
- 4 large carrots
- 5 potatoes
- 7 onions
- 4 star anise
- 15 whole allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch dill (I use 1/4 cup)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 farmer sausage
- Cut all vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Cut sausage into ½ inch rounds.
- Chop cabbage into bite size pieces also.
- Pour water into a large soup pot and add in the vegetables and the sausage and the spices.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes then add tomatoes and cream.
- Cook until the vegetables and sausage are tender.