1/1 Photo of Georgetown Cupcake's Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes
This was the winning recipe in the 8 week long Cupcake War put on by The Washington Post. It is stated to be "moist and chocolaty cake with just the right amount of rich ganache frosting on top." The original recipe calls for Valrhona cocoa powder and Callebaut chocolate, but any good quality cocoa powder and semisweet chocolate chips may be substituted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard cupcake pan with 12 baking cups and a second pan with 6 cups.
- 3Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt on a sheet of wax paper.
- 4Beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy. Stop to add the sugar; beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
- 5Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- 6Combine the vanilla extract and milk in a large liquid measuring cup.
- 7Reduce the speed to low. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then gradually add 1/3 of the milk mixture, beating until well incorporated. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by 1/3 of the milk mixture. Stop to scraped down the bowl as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk mixture, and beat until just combined.
- 8Add the cocoa powder, beating on low until just incorporated.
- 9Use a standard size ice cream scoop to fill each cupcake paper with batter, so that the wells are 2/3's full. Bake for 18-20 minutes (start checking at 15 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 11Lay a large piece of wax paper on the work surface.
- 12Combine the heavy cream and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Fill a medium saucepan with an inch or two of water and place over medium-low heat. Place the bowl over the saucepan and let the mixture melt, stirring until it is shiny and smooth.
- 13Remove the bowl of chocolate ganache from the saucepan; let it cool slightly, for 2-3 minutes. Working with one cupcake at a time, carefully dip each cupcake top in the warm ganache, twisting your wrist as needed to make sure the cupcake top gets completely coated. To prevent drips, quickly turn the cupcake right side up and place on the wax paper. Allow the ganache to set for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Georgetown Cupcake's Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.7
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 47.4 mg
- Sodium 85.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g