Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Taste of Home
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 broiler (3 1/2 to 4 pounds) or 1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brown chicken on all sides in remaining oil over medium-high heat. Drain chicken and transfer to a 13" x 19" x 2" baking pan.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear.
While I might have liked to finish this off on the gas grill for a better appearance, it was so good coming out of the oven that we just didn't bother. I halved the recipe and made it from slabs cut off of large chicken breasts; otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Got a thumbs-up from our picky-eater DS22. Made for ZWT5. (P.)