1/1 Photo of Gebna Makleyah (Egyptian Oven-Fried Cheese)
I found this recipe on the Food By Country website which stated that "in Egypt, cheese with bread is frequently served at meals. Here, oven-fried cheese is served with lemon wedges and pita triangles." You can easily vary the recipe to suit your tastebuds by adding tomatoes or other vegetables, or vary the cheese by using a traditional Egyptian white cheese, such as gibna beyda, instead of crumbled feta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Place the cheese, flour, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well with very clean hands. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. If the mixture seems too loose to hold its shape, add a little more flour. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit of lemon juice, vinegar, or water.
- 3Pour 2 or 3 Tablespoons olive oil onto a cookie sheet to grease. Arrange the cheese balls on cookie sheet, rolling them around to coat thoroughly with the oil. Bake 5 minutes at 400°.
- 4Wearing an oven mitt, shake the baking sheet to turn the cheese balls, and bake 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
- 5With a spatula, transfer the cheese balls to a paper towel.
- 6Serve the cheese balls while still warm, with lemon wedges and triangles of pita bread.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gebna Makleyah (Egyptian Oven-Fried Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (39 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.6
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 79.8 mg
- Sodium 436.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g